Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Friendliness vs. Relationship

It has been a bit since the last post for several reasons, but will not discuss all of that.  Over the last few weeks I have been developing an idea on relationship perspectives.  Where I am at now, people are genuinely friendly.  Sure, there are the church scabs, (people who refuse to heal from the past wounds) but for the most part, people are friendly.  In the south, we just refer to it as southern hospitality.  If you don't know what that is, just work for a yankee for a while.  Sorry DA, not throwing you under the bus here, because i think you get it, but southerners just know hospitality.  Love ya, bro.

The problem is this:  there are few quality relationships.  Relationship has been replaced with friendliness, and that is only a superficial connection.  It won't weather the storms and can be easily replaced.  Value is lessened.  Everyone is your postman.  They see you regularly, know you by what they can read on the outside, and are not interested in the dogs in your life.  

I have people with whom I have a genuine relationship.  We know each other well.  We know our faults, of which I have plenty, and they still hang around.  Even if my dog has bit them in the past, they heal the wound and come back.  Beyond that, I seek out new relationships.  Now I find myself connecting with a newer, younger generation of leaders because of the whole reverse mentoring paradigm.  (see previous posts)  Without the depth of relationship, we will remain superficial and self-centered.

This carries over to our spiritual life as well.  We have all heard the phrases thrown around in Christendom about a "relationship" with Christ, but seldom see it modeled.  I believe, in part, because relationship is personal and private.  We don't wear relationship on our sleeve.  I don't tell of my wife's secrets to the world.  It is part of our relationship.  It's the depth and value of who we are together.  When I pour out my insecurities and failures to God, He doesn't need to tell you.  That is relationship.  Friendliness is fantastic, but relationship is forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment