Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Reverse Mentoring

My friend Steve just posted on his Facebook about how the church in India, where his is currently visiting, is grasping and discussing the concept of reverse mentoring.  How does it work to see a struggling church in a distinctly non-christian country grasp leadership concepts that the western church has ignored.  Where I serve now, few churches have true team oriented leadership that thrives on feedback.  For the most part, it is the "top-down" leadership model that functions rarely and only if weaker leaders are hired into staff positions.  

Micromanagement without feedback breeds discontent.  Discontent is the world where most staff  members I know are forced to live.  Divine calling is thrown out the window. Organizational policies supersede God's call to any ministry outside the realm of Senior Pastor. If God has called you to a specific generation or ministry field, you will no doubt experience insecurity and disrespect.  Daily it seems leaders fall by the wayside, choosing instead a secular life, often devoid of God entirely.  How sad that often it is God's people, even God's elect, that push great potential over the edge.  I am not making excuses for those who choose moral failure or to simply quit.  Actually, quite the opposite.  I hope I didn't contribute to the exasperation of another leader, though I am sure in my bull-headed nature, I have, either through disrespect or even neglect.  

It is all I can do at times to keep myself focused on the call.  Disillusionment with ministry can creep in fast.  It is a battle, however, worth fighting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment