Monday, January 11, 2010

The Imitation Snuggie

So how is that Snuggie you got for Christmas working out for you? After all the complaining and begging not to get one of those blankets with holes in them, I wound up with one. If you follow on Facebook, you no doubt saw me get thrown under the bus for complaining about it as well. I promised a post, so here you go:

The facts: Snuggies were not cool before they became "in vogue" and trendy. They were a cash grab idea that targets women and makes for horrid commercials. I mean, really, have you seen the commercials. These people look like they belong at a Star Trek convention. Now there are the spin off Snuggies like the slanket or the nice, though slightly toxic smelling Dollar General version I received. Some kid in an Asian sweatshop is cutting holes in giant pieces of felt for crazed Americans.

I have been criticized for being ungrateful and crude. Some of you need a little less fiber in your diet. Truth is, my grandmother brought it for a gift exchange game we played at a family gathering. Her gift to me and my family was a beautiful quilt that she hand made, along with two for my boys that were distinctly personalized. We all sleep with them every night.

Now for more about the Snuggie issue. Here is my beef. You know that nice, hand made quilt I received from my grandmother, well, the Snuggie is a cheap imitation that requires no effort to make and shows no creativity. Some guy who cant hold down a job and has bad personal hygiene finally gets coaxed out of his "invention laboratory" to take a shower, and in his stupor, puts his robe on backwards and patents the idea. (ok, so that was totally fictionalized, but kind of how I see it going down.) Now this Rick Moranis wanna be is raking in millions selling off his imitation quilt. Now we have the second generation of generic Snuggies. Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous. And what about those "one size fits all" claims. I am 6' 3" with a 52" chest. One size does not fit all.

So why the rant? The Snuggie is the poster-child for society. We are always looking for a way to make cheap imitations of the real thing. We see it in our choices for food, clothing, transportation, and dieting. No one wants to put out any more effort that what is necessary for survival. Unfortunately, it has infiltrated the church as well. Few want an authentic faith, but are satisfied to take a cheap imitation, seldom expending any efforts or requiring any time or creativity to their faith. We don't want to discuss issues of sin or exclusivity of the Christian faith because we might offend the complacent. As much as may align myself with emergent leaders, I have not lost the foundations of my faith. A faith that is not simply pacified by the offering plate or attendance card, but a faith that can't be contained and must be lived out and shared continually. I have told our church, who is now 100 years old and has seen some incredible times, "When you tell me what this church used to be, you are telling me what you used to be. If it is not great today, then the people changed." Why settle for Snuggie faith when you can have so much more.

Revelation 3:17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined by fire, so that you may be rich, and white garments so that you may clothe yourself and the shame of your nakedness may not be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so that you may see.

No comments:

Post a Comment