Monday, June 29, 2009

Are we Robbing from the Future?

Days on end of Fireworks and making money for missionaries. As much as I love this, I wonder if it creates the lasting goal of developing a heart of missions giving in my students. I wonder if we have become so event driven that we have neglected the personal aspect of giving. In reading Scotty Gibbons book "Overflow" I question the plight of my, and many other leaders students. What happens when they graduate and move on? We already see an enormous drop off in church attendance in the transition years, so what about giving. Of those who stay true to their faith, do they continue to give?
I am sure that fundraising events are always going to be part of what I do, but it will not be all we do. Giving must be learned at the intimate level. I've failed there before. And there are still times I have to correct myself. But a giving lifestyle should just be part of the DNA of the believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment